Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The jewels call me

I work nights in my full time career as a restaurant manager. I have been in the same line of work basically since I was 17. It's in my blood and I have had a great time doing it but I am getting older and standing 10 hours a day can take a toll on the joints. The best part of my job is that it is always changing with new staff and customers and there are always new challenges to tackle with each shift.

All that aside, once I turned 40 I started to realize that as much as I love what I do, I don't think I want to be standing 10 hours a day when I am in my 60's. I think that by the time I hit my next decade I would like to be in a different chapter workwise..which brings me to jewelry.

A few years back one of my best friends in the world, Bea, took a jewelry class. She was having such a great time doing it that it became infectious and my other best buddy..I shall call her Carudja, Queen of the Pig Gypsies just for old times sake got hooked as well. So now it was my turn to drink the KoolAid and try beading. I fell in love and have not stopped. It is just the creative outlet I needed. I can't thank Bea enough for taking that class and introducing me to something that has given me such joy!!

Unfortunately I have had tendonitis in my right hand for two months now, but no worries because I go under the knife for a simple procedure tomorrow and will hopefully be good as new and healed up in about 10 days. Once that happens, there will be no stopping me and hopefully jewelry making will be a part of my future for a long time to come.

3 comments:

we_be_toys said...

I am Corudia, Queen of the Pig Gypsies! Bow before me, gringo swine!

Yay! Ms. Q is up on the blogging horse - two, Two posts! Ah ah ah!

So you're going under the knife, eh? I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping this will take care of that pesky tendonitis.

By the way, you're going to HAVE to regale us with your late night shopping foray - it is the perfect blog post fodder, and you tell it so well! (Pleeeeeeeze??)

FairiesNest said...

"Queen of the Pig Gypsies"...hmm that sounds about right;) So you know you'll have to tell about the shopping adventure or we'll bug you to death!

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

Ditto on that late night shopping story! You have to spill the beans, because as you well know (or maybe not) what you post in blog land, stays in blog land. Kind of. :) Am I being helpful yet?