Thursday, May 22, 2008

I'm looking down Shrek!

What do you do if someone has told you something in confidence and you know they are making a bad decision? This is my dilemma.

My cousin told me that she has a 3 centimeter growth on her thyroid and she wants to wait until later in the summer to have it removed. She is going to Africa in July for three weeks and is afraid her recovery time will get in the way of her trip.

Is she fucking crazy? Is she just puting her fingers in her ears and saying "I don't hear you..la la la"?

She swore me to secrecy and will not hear any of my pleas..of course the main one being that if it is cancer GET IT THE FUCK OUT NOW!!! Don't give it time to let one single cell spread.

Do I "out her" with the family and get a posse behind me to hog-tie her and force her to get it done, or do I respect her wishes and sit by and hope for the best.

Damn.

3 comments:

we_be_toys said...

I think its time for Cleopatra to come outta de-Nile and get that thing off her neck!

As much as I respect that this was told to you in strictest confidence, there are some things you don't mess around with, and Cancer is at the top of that list!

You tell her that either she wakes up and smells the coffee - ie; goes and gets that lump removed - or you're going to blow the family whistle on her and THEN see how hard it is to say no.

Even the wisest, most sane person can freak out and deny the need to have surgery - epsecially when it might be..."cancer", but "this ain't no party - this ain't no disco - this ain't no foolin' around" - she needs to go get that shit removed.

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

I agree with we_be_toys 100%! She needs to go ahead and get that taken care of. Jesus! No wonder you're looking down.

Oh, and here's another thought. I think she told you because deep down in her heart she knows she needs to get this taken care of. Otherwise she would have quietly gone on her trip. Even if she's not aware of it herself, I think she told you for a reason. To make her see what needs to be done, and do it.

Hang in there, I know this is scary for you too. Love you. Bea

Dean said...

It's her growth and her decision. Betraying trust might create more of a problem as the confidon turns into an informer...

Big stuff takes big time to digest.